Every women’s dream is to have healthy shiny hair, like all those celebrities we see on the red carpet. You most likely think they use every expensive product under the sun, yet in fact the best remedy for healthy hair is the natural ones. No matter what hair type you have; long, short, medium, curly or straight, having smooth and shiny hair always make you feel better about styling your hair.
Most people don’t naturally have shiny healthy hair and it’s something that needs to be worked on. There are many reasons as to why our hair may be looking dull, dry and damaged, such as over-use of products, styling tools, sunlight, regular use of hair dyes, high amount of mineral and chlorine in your water. Other factors that may contribute to unhealthy hair is age, stress, diet and not using the correct shampoo and conditioner for your hair type.
These factors contribute to damaging your hair, when your natural oils are taken away from you’re the follicles you lose that natural healthy glow. Many people try all different types of shampoos and conditioners to keep their hair smooth and shiny but in the long run, overusing hair products can be more harm than help. It is important to not keep using harmful products but to stay the safe alternative, homemade remedies. It’s easy.
Don’t worry, it is possible to restore the shine and health of your hair by replacing your shop bought hair products and making your own remedies. Not only are they all easy to make out of ingredients you would already have in your kitchen but it is also cost effective too. Below are the top 8 homemade remedies that have been the most effective helping restore the health and shine to your hair.
# Coconut Oil –
Coconut oil is a nice and simple natural remedy for dull and damaged hair. By using coconut oil on a regular basis, it will help with the shine and moisture you are trying to achieve from your damaged hair. Here are some simple instructions on how to apply this natural remedy.
- Simply heat the oil until it is lukewarm, then massage into the roots of your hair to achieve a shiny and healthy look.
- Massage the oil in for a few minutes then cover your hair for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo and conditioner.
You can use this remedy once or twice a week depending on how dry and dull your hair is. You can repeat this process with other oils such as castor oil.
# Eggs –
Eggs are a great source of protein not just for our diets but for our hairs health as well. Our hair follicles form gaps when there damaged and when we consume protein it fills in these holes and prevents the follicles from snapping or becoming weak. To make your hair look great, eggs contain fatty acids which help to give your hair moisture and shine, so therefore it’s important for your hair to contain enough protein.
- Simply beat one egg with one tablespoon of olive oil and honey, mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, massage into your scalp and leave to dry.
- Once dry wash off with your normal hair wash routine.
It is recommended to use this treatment once a week and no more, as too much protein can overload the hair follicles and cause it to be heavy and snap causing even more damage. Balancing the right amount of protein in your hair is important.
# Avocado –
We know avocado as a good food, healthy for you, right? Well that’s exactly why it is healthy for your hair. It contains all the good nutrients that deeply nourish and moisturize your damaged hair. Follow the instructions below to achieve the best results.
- Peel and mash your ripe avocado into a paste.
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to make it easier.
- Apply the mixture onto damp hair.
- Leave on and cover for 20-30 minutes then wash off.
This process can be repeated once a week until it has made a different to the shine of your hair then you can further it to once a month.
# Black Tea
Black tea is known for containing caffeine which helps prevent hair loss. The greater the amount of hair you can keep, the thicker and healthier your locks. You may want to avoid this recipe if you have light hair as it can really help to darken your hair. Simply follow the instructions below.
- Add 2-3 tea bags into boiling water and leave to soak for around 2 hours
- Simply apply to your hair and leave for 30 minutes
- Rinse your hair and deep condition for the best results
This mask is advised to be used no more than every 2 weeks and please remember this will leave a darker colour.
# Banana –
Banana is a great natural product to use as it contains a lot of proteins which is great for repairing damaged hair. Not only this but they are full of lots of nutrients and contain fruit acids such as glucose which do a great job keeping your hair healthy and nourished. This is such an easy recipe to follow.
- Mash up the banana into a bowl
- Add a few tablespoons of oil and blend
- Cover your hair with your mixture
- Leave on for 45 minutes
- Wash off with your normal hair was routine
This is recommended to be used once a month, as it contains so many nutrients it isn’t needed as often as some of the others.
# Mayonnaise –
Mayonnaise is a great natural remedy as it contains lots of amino acids, protein and antioxidants which helps promote hair grow by regenerating your damaged hair. Follow my simple instructions below.
- Depending on the length of your hair you will need a cup of mayonnaise.
- Add some avocado paste for extra protein.
- Massage into damp hair from roots to ends.
- Leave for around an hour and then wash off with your usual hair wash routine.
This hair mask is recommended once every few weeks depending on how damaged your hair is.
# Gelatine –
Gelatine contains hydrolyzed protein which is a lot better than normal proteins to helping you achieve shiny and healthy hair. Follow the instructions on how to use this natural remedy.
- Add one tablespoon of Gelatine to warm water
- Massage into the hair and leave for 20 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water
This can be used as a daily mask to begin with and when you see a difference the amount your use can decrease.
# Aloe Vera –
Aloe Vera is a great option for your hair as it contains so many different nutrients in fact 75 different ones to be precise. Aloe Vera gel contains antioxidants, enzymes and vitamins that promote hair growth and improve the overall health of your hair. It is also great to help people who suffer from dandruff. Follow the simple instructions below on how to use this product.
- You will need to extract the Aloe Vera gel from the stem by cutting it.
- Mix it with water and apply to your hair
- Leave for 30 minutes then wash off with your normal hair wash routine.
Use this routine at least once a week and you will be surprised to see the outcome.
Author Francesca Jaques –
Francesca Jaques is the author and editor of www.hairday.co.uk , Beauty therapist by day and writer by night. She reviews every hair product available, finding the best of the best and giving you all the tips possible to make life easier for you. For hairstyle ideas, tips and reviews, you can find them on her Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.